It’s time to #MeetWilden. Meet Wilden’s Manager of Operations, Kirsten!
1. How and when did you first get involved with Wilden and what is your role?
I first became involved with Wilden when I started working for Edgecombe Builders in 2013 and worked for Edgecombe until I started working directly for Wilden in January 2022. I am the Manager of Operations for the Wilden Group.
2. What are some of your favourite things about working with Wilden?
The people I work with are all fantastic people and the management of Wilden is unlike any other place I’ve worked. They encourage a work-life balance by giving all employees 5 weeks holidays and require you to leave your work at work, while you’re on holidays.
3. If you were an animal living in Wilden, which one would you be?
I would be a hawk flying high over the whole development so I could see all of the exciting changes going on.
4. If you were to build your dream house in Wilden, what are some must-haves you would include?
Ooh fun! I would include a large walk-in closet (for all my shoes), a free standing tub in the ensuite with a view of the lake, a large island in the kitchen to gather around, and a beautiful outdoor space with a pool to share with my family and friends!
5. What are some of your favourite ways to relax and play in the Okanagan?
I have two teenage boys who are into many different sports, so I don’t get to relax very often, but when I do, I like to spend time at wineries, learning about the different wine varietals (I take my research very seriously. ). My dog and I watch design tv shows for inspiration for my next home renovation projects. I just finished a carriage house for my mom to live in, in my back yard. I like to get on my cruiser bike and ride downtown to see friends. I also spend time at my family’s cabin at Idabel Lake.
6. What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you or do you have a superpower that nobody would guess?
I think people would be surprised to hear that I am a cancer survivor and I definitely think that qualifies as a superpower. I was diagnosed at age 37 with breast cancer. I am proud of my health accomplishments as well as my personal accomplishments since my diagnosis. I found personal strength through my healing process. In order to give back to the community that saved my life, I have been on the planning committee of the CIBC Run for the Cure since 2016.
7. What is Kelowna’s best kept secret?
I think Kelowna’s best kept secret is its beauty. We live in such a beautiful place! I was born and raised here, so I didn’t realize how beautiful it really is, until I lived in a few other places and ultimately came home to settle down. Our lake, vineyards, mountains, golf courses, and climate, all contribute to Kelowna’s inherent beauty.
8. What are some of your favourite local Kelowna businesses you like to support and more people need to know about?
We have so many great small businesses in Kelowna. But my favourites are Matadora Tapas, Strut Footwear and Apparel, and Tail Blazers.
9. If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
I love to sleep so I would be sad about not sleeping, but if I didn’t know what sleep was and I didn’t need it, I would probably spend more time dancing. I used to dance when I was younger and I miss it.
10. If you weren’t living in the beautiful Okanagan, where else would you live?
I would live on Vancouver Island. I went to university on the island and my sisters both live there, so I would probably move there. But Kelowna is definitely my home.
Welcome to the team Kirsten, we’re fortunate to have you be a part of our team at Wilden.
For more #MeetWilden interviews click here.